cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Active/Standby connection for a 3800 series?

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What is the command to make my second eth port standby? I have to have fault redundant connection for the 3800 utulizing the second eth port.

My current config is:

interface GigabitEthernet0/0

description SwitchPort xx

ip address 172.19.20.15 255.255.255.224

duplex auto

speed auto

media-type rj45

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

no ip address

shutdown

duplex auto

speed auto

media-type rj45

Thanks much!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pkaretnikov
Level 1
Level 1

From a Q&A on the 3800

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5855/prod_qas0900aecd8016a953.html

Q. Is Cisco EtherChannel® supported on the two onboard Gigabit Ethernet ports?

A. No. Cisco EtherChannel is not supported on the onboard Gigabit Ethernet ports. Instead, Cisco EtherChannel can be configured on Gigabit Ethernet HWICs, Gigabit Ethernet network modules, and Fast Ethernet ports on Cisco EtherSwitch HWICs and network modules when the ports are in switchport mode.

So etherchannel isn't an option with the two builtin ports.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Are these going to be used as gateways for hosts or are you needing failover for internet traffic outbound?

--John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Normally you can't configure two of the same devices on the same subnet. However, the 3800 supports manual Etherchannel or you can route across both links.

how would I go about configuring this?

Thanks!

pkaretnikov
Level 1
Level 1

From a Q&A on the 3800

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5855/prod_qas0900aecd8016a953.html

Q. Is Cisco EtherChannel® supported on the two onboard Gigabit Ethernet ports?

A. No. Cisco EtherChannel is not supported on the onboard Gigabit Ethernet ports. Instead, Cisco EtherChannel can be configured on Gigabit Ethernet HWICs, Gigabit Ethernet network modules, and Fast Ethernet ports on Cisco EtherSwitch HWICs and network modules when the ports are in switchport mode.

So etherchannel isn't an option with the two builtin ports.

basically then, I would need to configure something on the switch for this type of redundancy correct?

Sorry I forgot to rate your message. That's what I was looking for. Thanks much! I guess I will need to purchase the HWICs for this to work. I do not see any other way around this.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card