Helpful
Replies

Anybody deploying TAPS ????

araffill
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have CCM 5.1 cluster and IPCC Express 5.0.2

We are thinking about using TAPS (ToolforAutoRegisteredPhonesSupport) for the deployment of IP Phones.

We would like to know if TAPS is used widely by the user community and the potential advantages and disadvantages.

Your inputs are highly valued.

Many Thanks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Absolutely, I use it on almost all deployments. Depending on number of end points being deployed, it can save you a lot of hours.

HTH,

Chris

View solution in original post

One big limitation of TAPS is that it does not support shared lines, if 2 or more devices have the same DN and when going through TAPS enrollment it uses external phone number mask as the tiebraker.

Chris

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Absolutely, I use it on almost all deployments. Depending on number of end points being deployed, it can save you a lot of hours.

HTH,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Tx a lot for your inputs..

Any caution that we have to adopt while deploying TAPS (other than clearing the autoregistration numbers regularly) ?

Many Thanks

One big limitation of TAPS is that it does not support shared lines, if 2 or more devices have the same DN and when going through TAPS enrollment it uses external phone number mask as the tiebraker.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Tx a lot for your valuable inputs once again :-)

Will keep you updated about the progress of TAPS deployment..

Cheers,

I am newbie with CUCM 5,6. Can I bind TAPS with IP address? Forexample IP phone with IP address 192.168.34.11 - Device Pool siteA,CSS_A, ip 192.168.35.25 - Device Pool SiteB, CSS_B

I am sorry I dont follow your question, TAPS is BAT for auto registered phones, which has nothing to do with IP addresses. Can you elaborate?

Chris

As I know we can use TAPS with IVR for autoregistration phones by customer. Am I I right for this step? If so, I asked, can we create some solution for assigning needed parametres for autoregistration phones?

Correct.

What solution and what parameters are you referring to?

Here is teh process:

1. configure TAPS on CM and CRS

2. Deploy phones which will auto-register with dummy extensions

3. Import phone configurations via BAT, instead of using real MAC addresses use dummy MAC addresses, hence you dont care which phone is where and all you worry about is the phone model

4. Go to each phone, dial the route point for the TAPS application (or enable PLAR to have the phone dial automatically) and upon prompt enter the langauge followed by the primary extesnion of the phone your are TAPSing.

5. The phone will reset and come up with the proper configuration that was imported via BAT.

So, the benefit of using TAPS vs. just BAT is that you dont have to know the MAC addresses up front and worry where each phone goes, saving you a lot ot tone in deployment of phones phase of the project.

HTH,

Chris

Hey chris, do you know if you can load CRS in a VMware? I was thinking of having a "portable" TAPS for installs. I could just hook into CUCM if my CRS server was already built. If not, I could just drag a 7815 along to the install to deploy the phones. VM would be nice though!

Absolutely you can. Keep in mind you will have to install it on Cisco specific windows so registry hack will be required during the OS build.

HTH,

Chris

yeah I remember those hacks for CUCM. Im hoping Cisco has a VM image I can "borrow" from them.

Can you run a a centralized TAPS (CRS) server for different call managers(simultaneous configuration) or does it need to be dedicated per publisher.

Thanks,

hi chris

have you got information on how to build crs on vmware for taps?

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: