Helpful
Replies

Can Router 871-Modem Connection

tomocisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everybody!

Please can someone help me with this?

I want to configure a Router871 for Dial Up to link 2 branch offices via dial up.

How do I connect the router to the modem for dial up?

Can Router871 be used for such a scenario?

What are the 2 USB ports on Router 871 used for? what kind of connection do they serve?

Lastly can someone give me a link to where I can get a sample configuration to use to model mine.

Thanks for your inputs.

Tom

3 Replies 3

patrickvanham
Level 1
Level 1

I do not think the 871 is suitable for dial-up connections. It's a router with 1 WAN fastethernet and 4 port fastethernet switch. I cannot see an option for a modem. The 876 has a dial-up port via ISDN.

Hi,

Thanks Patrick.

Still on the 871, what purpose does the USB ports serve, I am still trying to figure that out.

Can 1800 Router series be used for Dial up. The one we have, (Router 1841) has 2 Fast Ethernet ports, with slots for installing extra interfaces.

Thanks.

Tom

Q. For what are the Universal Serial Bus (USB) ports on the Cisco 1811 and 1812 routers used?

A. The Cisco 1811 and 1812 routers have two integrated USB 2.0 ports. These USB ports will be configurable in the future to work with an optional USB memory token for secure configuration distribution and off-platform storage of VPN credentials. Note: The Cisco 1801, 1802, and 1803 models do not provide USB ports.

This document explains how to configure backup dial-in access if your 1800 has a backup ISDN port. Many models do but not all.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/1800/1801/software/configuration/guide/dialbkup.html

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card