Getting started for CCNA

Unanswered Question
Oct 30th, 2008
User Badges:

I live in Colorado Springs, Co and trying to locate a good CCNA course. I found a local community college that offers CCNA training, but it is drawn out over multiple courses. I know some areas have CCNA specific classes that are like 8 weeks or so. I can't seem to locate any other options through the academy links for my area. Any other options I may have missed. Could even go towards the Denver area if needed, depending on schedule.

I don't have any previous experience and would like to know where a good place would be to start. I have always been pretty good with self teaching, so any recommended books or sites to start? I would like to get a jump start before doing classes so I am comfortable with everything inside and out.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
compsolv Thu, 10/30/2008 - 14:59
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

Hi KJGB198795!

Check this out! We are a leader in expert-level (CCIE) training online and we just announced today our entrance into the Entry and Associate-level certifications.

We hope to have our CCENT course ready for purchase on Dec 1. It will be unmatched online training for your first step.

While you are waiting, you can begin your studies on Cisco's site - here is an example:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/internetworking/technology/handbook/ito_doc.html

You can match the chapters here against the topics in CCENT and CCNA.

I hope to see you in our upcoming classes!

Anthony J. Sequeira, CCIE #15626, CCSI #23251

Senior CCIE Instructor

[email protected]

Internetwork Expert, Inc.

http://www.InternetworkExpert.com

Toll Free: 877-224-8987

Outside US: 775-826-4344

KJGB198795 Sun, 11/09/2008 - 16:31
User Badges:

Thanks for the info. Will get reading tomorrow since I am off. I checked out your site and your classes, seem pretty in depth. Anyone else have some good starter info as well?

CriscoSystems Tue, 11/11/2008 - 13:19
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

Rather than spend money on a class, get the ICND textbook and some used Cisco equipment (3 or 4 2500 routers and a switch or two) on the Ebay.

That's all I used and I passed the exam handily.

Plus of course you can use the equipment for future exams should you wish to go further up the Cisco certification ladder. Spending that money on just one class won't be as fructifying.

Yes I said fructifying.

KJGB198795 Fri, 12/12/2008 - 18:36
User Badges:

I was getting ready to order the CCNA study guide that was recommended off amazon. I also saw they had a virtual lab by Todd Lamie as well. Seemed to have pretty good reviews. Also fairly cheaper than buying multiple routers and switches. Would it be worth purchasing or should I get actual routers and switches?

ryancolson Sat, 11/29/2008 - 11:17
User Badges:

What I did after i started using a couple of 2500s, Is I got a 1721 and a 2924 and used them both for my actual internet/network. Helped having something in production =). 1721's are pretty cheap on ebay

dandrewsd Mon, 12/01/2008 - 13:58
User Badges:

I went the self study route, and honestly, I enjoyed it.

I bought the Sybex CCNA Study Guide by Todd Lammle. The book was not that bad, except the last chapter which was massive. I only say it's bad because I summarized each chapter with notes, definitions, and all the commands I learned and my notes for this chapter ended up being a couple of pages long.

For my home lab: I got my hands on two 2514 routers, bought a 2611XM router(Not necessary but I wanted to check out the SDM software), and a 3512XL switch.

Writing down/documenting every command I learned with notes next to them, for each chapter and then compiling all of the commands into one document really helped me with memorization.

Jcody2121 Tue, 02/03/2009 - 12:15
User Badges:

I am also using the Sybex Self Study route to get "re-certified" on my CCNA. I have not much Cisco in a while and have not used the SDM. Do I need a Full CCO account to obtain this. Is their a way I can get it for practice. It states in the Sybex self study manual I should be able to download it from Cisco. However, it appears you need more than a guest account to do this.

Also, did you try any of the virtual routers verses purchasing an actual router?

Thanks

itnetguru Tue, 12/16/2008 - 09:01
User Badges:

I am currently in a CCNA class with a school named Techskills. They allow you to start at anytime and you can either attend class and/or do most via eLearning. The closest to the area from where you may be located (Colorado Springs, CO 80903) is at 7000 E Belleview Ave, Ste 100, Greenwood Village, CO 80111 (Campus Phone is 720-529-8000), being Trip distance: 58.83 miles Time: 56 mins (roughly).

The online resources allowing me to reach this site was available through their extensive 'Insider Links' provided for students.

I've only been here a couple of weeks, but I've also been in the I>T> industry for over 21 years. One can do as much as one can online, but the texts provided, online resources, available instructors, physical and elabs, Test Prep Exams, etc. are probably more than anyone needs to successfully pass this course.

Hope this helps you.

Actions

This Discussion