Strange Network Operation

Unanswered Question
Oct 30th, 2008

I am configuring a network consisting of a Cisco 871 Ethernet Router, a Cisco Catalyst Ethernet Switch. During this configuration process I have connected One PC/Windows 2000 Pro, a Laptop PC/Windows XP Pro and a HP Printer connected to the net via an Ethernet interface. I have had this configured for a while now. The LAN has no problems and functions well.

The WAN connection has problems. I start up the network and it runs fineBoth hosts access the internet without any problems. If I turn everything off, Router, Switch, Both computers and the printer at night. The next morning when I start everything up, The LAN works fine but neither computer can access the Internet. This has happened each of the three times I have shutdown the Network at night.

I have a minor problem with the Router Poer Supply. Inconsistently when I turn on the Router power switch, the power does not come on. I have to disconnect the power line an the main and reconnect the cord. then the power comes on. I don't know if this is related to the problem.

At each occurrance, I "play with the Java configuration and each of the Browser configurations. It is with this "twiddling" that I am able to get one or, if I'm lucky, both computers able to get on the internet. I have never changed the Router configuration. The "twiddling" process can go on for several days before I can get the net operating correctly. I am unable to pinpoint the cause of this apparent failure.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
steveo123 Thu, 10/30/2008 - 20:38

this may be a problem related to NAT on your router. i would suggest looking at the router logs and running debug ip nat to see whats happening when hosts are ARPing for external addresses...

S knockswell

CCIE 22131

Actions

This Discussion