cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LLDP to determine power with non-cisco phones ?

Hi,

We are using Cisco 3750 power over ethernet switch with Nortel 1140E Ip phones.

Is there any way the the 3750 could adjust power consumption automatically via "lldp med-tlv-select power-management" ?

My 1140E is set with LLDP, and if I do a "show LLDP neighbor detail" on the switch, it tells me that it sees the phone and the power needed by the phone (9.6 Watts) but the switchport sticks with the calss 3 PoE value of 15.4 Watts.

Is there any way to make it work like Cisco Phones and CDP ?

Thanks.

Dominic

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Dominic,

your description looks like the following bug:

CSCsj87991

A switch configured for Link Layer Discovery Protocol (LLDP) might not correctly report the enabled switch capabilities in the LLDP type, length, and value (TLV) attributes. System capabilities appear correctly, but the enabled capabilities are not identified if the switch is configured only as a Layer 2 switch.

There is no workaround.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello Giuseppe

Thanks a lot for the information. Does that mean that I have to enable ip routing on the switch, even if I don't need it ? Anybody found another way to make it work ?

Dominic

Hello Dominic,

I have the same impression that the only workaround is to enable routing on the switch.

Probably this activates some IOS routines/functions that are also used in LLDP process.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

CSCsj87991 fixed in newer code. I'd run 46SE as it fixes a LLDP/Port Security issue CSCsm95859. LLDP and DHCP Full provides decent automation for Nortel phones.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card