cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 stack and VSS on 6509 are comparable features?

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but imagine I have on my core, two 6509's. I want to configure VSS in the future.

Then 6509-Core is connected to distribution swtiches (2) 3750 12 SFP, stackwise.

a) Am I right that a stack of 3750's provide similar function when compared to VSS? That is, the ability to "eliminate" STP.

b) If answer to a) is no, is the 3750 ever going to run VSS?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Marlon,

the question is not stupid at all.

From an high level point of view both VSS and stacking allows to consolidate two devices (only two with VSS) or more devices (stacking) in a single box.

Be aware that STP is still running: the VSS pair and the stack act each as a single STP bridge sending out BPDUs with the same Bridge-ID out all ports.

So from the limited point of view of STP both VSS and stacking provide consolidation and as a single box behaviuor.

Of course VSS is different in the implementation :

in current implementation via the VS trunk a single supervisor controls both chassis with the other chassis' sup acting as standby.

In stacking the master will be able to provide a coherent interface to configure ports in all modules.

VSS provides this consolidation also at L3 for all routing protocols and so on.

b)

I don't think a VSS for C3750 is needed but stack is a form of VSS (or its predecessor)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Marlon,

the question is not stupid at all.

From an high level point of view both VSS and stacking allows to consolidate two devices (only two with VSS) or more devices (stacking) in a single box.

Be aware that STP is still running: the VSS pair and the stack act each as a single STP bridge sending out BPDUs with the same Bridge-ID out all ports.

So from the limited point of view of STP both VSS and stacking provide consolidation and as a single box behaviuor.

Of course VSS is different in the implementation :

in current implementation via the VS trunk a single supervisor controls both chassis with the other chassis' sup acting as standby.

In stacking the master will be able to provide a coherent interface to configure ports in all modules.

VSS provides this consolidation also at L3 for all routing protocols and so on.

b)

I don't think a VSS for C3750 is needed but stack is a form of VSS (or its predecessor)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi,

i don't know much about VSS and i want to implement in my network can anyone tell me the Cisco URL where i can get sample configuration of VSS.

Thanks and Regards,

Jerry

Also another thing that VSS does is double the sup from 720 to 1440 so you get higher performance.

The stackwise allows you to share the backplane.

both are "stackable" technologies in which you can manage both devices via one vty session.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card