cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst C3750-24TS, back to Factory Default, how?

markxgzhang
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

How can i set all the settings back to factory default? The Express Setup and Resetting the Switch do not do the job. What is the way?

TIA

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Telnet or console into the switch and enter 'enable' and the password (if any). Then type following commands:

switch#write erase

Erasing the nvram filesystem will remove all configuration files! Continue? [con

firm]y

switch#delete flash:/vlan.dat

Delete filename [vlan.dat]? y

Delete flash:n? [confirm]y

Then either type reload or power reset the switch and it should reboot at factory default. If the config register has been changed or any parameters changed from ROMMON then you would need to correct these as well.

HTH

Andy

View solution in original post

I haven't got a 3750 to hand but I think this should work:

Type 'show switch' and determine the switch's number (that it used to be in the stack). Then renumber it using the command 'switch x renumber 1'. Then reload the switch.

As for the VLANs remaining I thought removing the VLAN.DAT file would solve this, however it may be different with 3750 stacks.

Andy

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Mark,

if you want to have the switch ignore the configuration file

access the switch via telnet

get enabled mode

switch#

config t

config-register

! the right value can be found looking

! for the password recovery procedure

exit

write mem

reload

if you want to delete the config with no chance to recover it

telnet to the switch

Switch# erase nvram:

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Telnet or console into the switch and enter 'enable' and the password (if any). Then type following commands:

switch#write erase

Erasing the nvram filesystem will remove all configuration files! Continue? [con

firm]y

Delete filename [vlan.dat]? y

Delete flash:n? [confirm]y

Then either type reload or power reset the switch and it should reboot at factory default. If the config register has been changed or any parameters changed from ROMMON then you would need to correct these as well.

HTH

Andy

Thank you very much. there still has some left over,

vtp domain zad

!

vlan 10

name servers

!

vlan 20

name workstations

and also, this switch used to be a member of stack (not master), and till now, the interface is still showing as

!

interface FastEthernet2/0/1

!

interface FastEthernet2/0/2

!

interface FastEthernet2/0/3

as if it still is a member of stack. Anyway to return it back?

Thanks

I haven't got a 3750 to hand but I think this should work:

Type 'show switch' and determine the switch's number (that it used to be in the stack). Then renumber it using the command 'switch x renumber 1'. Then reload the switch.

As for the VLANs remaining I thought removing the VLAN.DAT file would solve this, however it may be different with 3750 stacks.

Andy

Thanks Andy. It worked. I ran the switch renumber, and ran no service password-recovery to see if vlans were removed, and it was not. So ran those commands again as you suggested:

switch#write erase

firm]y

Delete filename [vlan.dat]?

! did not type y here. I did it last time, and got “not found” error. That probably explained why.

Delete flash:n? [confirm]

And ran reload, everything is back to default.

Thanks again

As a side option, try pressing down the mode button until all the status lights above the mode button light up and then extinguish. You should hear the fans spin up for a second as the unit reboots. If you have the console on screen, you should see a message appear saying the config has been reset and the switch will be restarted.

Quickest way I've found to do a reset (though after finding out about it, I'm more concerned about physical security now with the switches).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card