OID for Monitoring Gig Interface

Answered Question
Nov 1st, 2008
User Badges:

Hello,

I'm trying to monitor the interface utilization on a 7206. Most documenation says that 1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.6 is the OID to monitor the utilization, but it appears that this is the total traffic since reboot, not the current traffic rate. Is there an OID to monitor current utilization?

Thanks,

Lee

Correct Answer by Sushil Kumar Katre about 8 years 6 months ago

Hi Lee,

The OID you are referring to is for "ifHCInOctets" object in "IF-MIB". Following is the description for the same -

"The total number of octets received on the interface,including framing characters. This object is a 64-bit version of ifInOctets. Discontinuities in the value of this counter can occur at re-initialization of the management system, and at other times as indicated by the value of ifCounterDiscontinuityTime."

Why don't you try to use "CISCO-IF-EXTENSION-MIB" OID - 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.276.1.4.1, Object - "cieIfUtilTable". Description -

"This table contains the interface utilization rates for inbound and outbound traffic on an interface"

-> Sushil

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Sushil Kumar Katre Sun, 11/02/2008 - 19:18
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

Hi Lee,

The OID you are referring to is for "ifHCInOctets" object in "IF-MIB". Following is the description for the same -

"The total number of octets received on the interface,including framing characters. This object is a 64-bit version of ifInOctets. Discontinuities in the value of this counter can occur at re-initialization of the management system, and at other times as indicated by the value of ifCounterDiscontinuityTime."

Why don't you try to use "CISCO-IF-EXTENSION-MIB" OID - 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.276.1.4.1, Object - "cieIfUtilTable". Description -

"This table contains the interface utilization rates for inbound and outbound traffic on an interface"

-> Sushil

lxcollin1 Mon, 11/03/2008 - 09:31
User Badges:

Thanks Sushil! This was exactly what I was looking for...

Sushil Kumar Katre Mon, 11/03/2008 - 19:56
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

No problem Lee. Glad that I was of a little help.

-> Sushil

Actions

This Discussion