Views
Helpful
Replies

network overview for biggner

egy.ayman
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

here is someone who is new to cisco and networdking at all. I know it maybe appear hard for new one to do it, but i believe with your help i can do it

Devices:

1- Cisco 2801 router ( has only one ADSL port)

2- DLINK ADSL router.

3- Pix 515E.

4- Catalyst 4507

5- 9 Cisco 2960G switches.

6- Main ADSL link with range of IPs ( 16 IP)

7- Secondary ADSL link with dynamic IP ( from deferent ISP)

Requirements:

1- Configure two links to meet balance requirements and also failover connectivity to internet.

2- Using Pix to provide basic security with take in consideration soon I will configure it to allow VPN users from remote sites.

3- Make Pix out line port (which I will connect to switch or catalyst) 192.168.0.1.

4- I will Nat some ports to publish services as mail server, domain, remote desktop, http server and FTP server.

5- I need to set each organization unit on isolated switch and VLAN and allow routing between Vlans according requirements.

6- Security solution for internal network to avoid ARP attacks which happen from some trouble makers users.

The exact problem I already need to solve:

1- How to configure 2801 as ADSL from scratch. ( I already reset its password)

2- How to merge and balance two ADSL lines between Cisco and non-Cisco devices and in the same time provide failover.

3- To reset Pix password I need to get software from Cisco while my free account on Cisco does not provide to download it!!

4- How to plan Vlans using 4507R!

5- Is there any easy step by step documents.

Thanks in advance.

6 Replies 6

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

That's a lot of requirements. For this many, I would suggest finding someone local to you to be able to help.

--John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Hello,

i believe i can do it step by step and may i start with configuring ADSL lines and PIX.

anyone can help in that?

netwalkr1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi- My suggestion would be to locate a local integrator who specializes in data communications/networking to help you with the network refresh project.

1) You may be able to upgrade the 515E to version 7/8 of code. This is first and foremost if your going to stick with the PIX and not upgrade to an ASA.

2) You may be able to use something like IP SLA (track) for failover of the two DSL connections. I would rather see you use the firewall's ability to track ISP failover. I'm not 100% ssure if you can do this with the PIX515, I know you can with an ASA5505 (security plus license) you can have ISP failover.

3) Password recovery procedure for PIX.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_password_recovery09186a008009478b.shtml

HTH and good luck!

Shaun

thanks alot, but!

1- I aim to make it myself.

2- any step by step doucment to configure 2801 as DSL from scratch!

3- I will not upgrade my hardware, so if its software , where can i download it, when i try to download any software from cisco it says my account is not allowed.

You will not be able to download anything from Cisco unless you have a valid service contract. The stuff you trying to do is far to long to list on this forum. All i can say is good luck.

If you really want to do it yourself, you should go get some books. Your requirements/requests are more than what this forum is for.

You should:

a.) Find a local person to help/teach you how to do it.

b.) Get some books, videos, etc.

Many people have been doing Cisco work for years, and you can't pick it up in a day. You need to learn how to design/implement/configure and troubleshoot problems. It could take us weeks to get you to the point of a "working" configuration trying to do it on this board.

Good luck.

--John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco