Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP Change / VLAN 1 Up/Down

jpoplawski
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I'm attempting to migrate 15 or so VTP servers over to two VTP servers and 13 VTP clients. I renamed the domain and set a password. I created and deleted a VLAN a couple times to crank the revision number up on the new server. Upon doing this, VLAN 1 shuts down. I backed out my changes, and plugged a PC into an access port on VLAN1 and it comes back up. I re-attempted this work again with a device plugged in to an Access port on VLAN1 and I experience the same issue. I have a TAC case open, however I was wondering if anyone else ran into this issue. IOS version on the switch is c3750-ipservicesk9-mz.122-25.SEB4. Looking for any ideas. Thanks in advance.

4 Replies 4

francisco_1
Level 7
Level 7

James,

I would advise when making such a massive change, do it out of working hours. Anyway i would suggest you convert all switches to transparent mode before changing the VTP domain/password on the switches. once you change the VTP Domain/password, then you should delegate your two switches as server and then the clients.

Francisco.

Francisco,

Thanks for the comment. I agree this change should be scheduled for off hours, however in theory downtime should not be needed. The issue I ran into appears to be related to c3750-ipbase-mz.122-25.SEB4.bin code as the latest version c3750-ipservicesk9-mz.122-46.SE.bin doesn't appear to have this problem. I replicated the same scenario in a lab and it consistently breaks with the old code, and I didn't notice any issue with the later code. I have a case open with TAC so that at least a bug can get created so if someone else runs into this issue, they'll have something to reference. As of now, there's nothing on the Bug tracker and TAC has never heard of this issue.

Hope this helps,

JB

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You should not have had to do anything to the new server if it had the same vtp domain name and password as the existing server , it should have automatically learned all the information from the existing vtp server if the new servers revision number was lower than the existing servers number and set the revision number to the existing servers revision number. If you had to mess with it to change the revision number then vtp was not operating properly to begin with

Glen,

I was taking one of the existing servers and making it a new server for a new domain. I wanted to utilize the revision number to verify the new client's are pulling the VTP config from the new server.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card