cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

catalyst 6509 OS and FTp

jackrivituso
Level 1
Level 1

I have a new software version on a laptop which I am going to apply to a catalyst 6509 with cat OS. I have the laptop connected to a switch and the switch connected to the cat6509. I want to use ftp to upgrade the software version on the cat6509. I keep getting the not connected message. I am able to ping everything. What is the procedure I should use to upgrade this 6509. Does the 6509 have a ftp server or client in it?

4 Replies 4

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Don't believe catos supports ftp, you would have to use tftp . Get a tftpserver put your file on it and just do a copy tftp command into bootflash or slot 0 then set your boot statement.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_example09186a0080116ff0.shtml

Glen

This shows that CatOS does support FTP.

cat6500> (enable) copy ?

acl-config Copy ACL configuration to a device

config Copy configuration to a device

flash Copy from flash

ftp Copy from FTP server

log-cmd Copy log command buffer to a device

rcp Copy from RCP server

scp Copy from SCP server

tftp Copy from TFTP server

File name

cat6500> (enable) copy

This is from a Cat6509 running 8.5(6) on the sup.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

That must have been an option in 8.x code , not available on the 7.6 code that we have so the box would have to have at least 8.x code to support ftp . Believe it started in 8.1 code.

sridsdale
Level 1
Level 1

CatOS has an ftp client so you'll need an FTP server with the image on it.

First:

set ftp username

Then enter:

set ftp password

This'll prompt you to enter the password for the user account you entered to use.

Then:

copy ftp flash

Just follow the instructions, you need to put in the address of the ftp server and the /path/to/filename to download.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card