Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Aironet 1310 series

swiftlink
Level 1
Level 1

hello all,

I have a cisco Aironet 1310 series which am having problem with the signal strength. This box came with 8 dbi Omni antenna gain and am told this can go upto 5km raduis. After configuring this equipment, i could not get a link when i move 500 meters. Please find attached the configs on the box. Any help given would be very much appreciated. Thank You

5 Replies 5

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Fred,

I don't think you can connect to a Wireless LAN using 802.11a or 802.11b/g from 500 meters distance

The radio solution for long reach is Wimax

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Sannie179
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

The antenna model and its positioning will also be a factor when it comes to the range.

Could you let us know what model antenna it is?

You can use the following data sheet as a reference guide for the external antennas:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps7183/ps469/product_data_sheet09186a008022b11b.html

/Sannie

lffrwatson
Level 1
Level 1

5km radius is around 3 miles. Im not sure a 8 dbi antenna can push it that far. Are you trying to cover a large radius or just a confined area? If your not covering a radius get a Yagi antenna and shoot the beam in the direction you want the signal.

sirdudesly
Level 2
Level 2

5km is a LOS rating as far as I know.

wesleyterry
Level 3
Level 3

This 5KM distance is only going to be applicable in bridging situations. The following link shows how to use the distance calculations based on devices: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps458/products_tech_note09186a008009459b.shtml

In theory, if you had a really strong direction antenna on your client you'd be able to get the 1310 as an access Point from 5km, but you'd need perfect line-of-site and you wouldn't be mobile...

As others had mentioned, if you're looking for an access point situation with that kind of range, then you need WiMax....

but if it is bridging you want, its just a matter of getting the other link to see this one (with a good enough antenna)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card