cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WEP key question

770801tvdhaar
Level 1
Level 1

I have old WEP PDA that use a 128k passphrase.We are now moving to a controller and LAP environment and have to keep this support untill we can phase them out. Can I create a key on WCS that break the rules 40bit 5 character key, 104bit 13 character key and 128bit 16 character key?

3 Replies 3

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

Yes, WLCs support 40/104/128-bit WEP keys for backwards compatibility with such products. It's always advised that you obtain confirmation of this from Cisco directly, though. Either talk to your Cisco rep, open a TAC case, or call them at 1-800-GO-CISCO.

Thanks for your reply, but my pda's are currently configured with a a 19 character ascii passphrase and the options I get don't exist on the WCS ie. 40bit only allows kyesy with 5 characters etc...

Is the only option is to change the key on the pda's?

Oh, sorry, but Cisco only supports 40-, 104-, and 128-bit WEP keys. You'll need to see if your PDA devices support a smaller key.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card