cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MOH on remote gateways

iptuser55
Level 6
Level 6

I`m deploying remote gateways with SRST. With SRST you configure a local source of MOH under the fallback commend and spoof the central CUCM - happy with this however when the gateway is in normal working mode how do I configure it to play the same local MOH source so it does not use the WAN. I can locate a commend "ccm-manager music-on-hold " which enables Multicast on the GW but what makes the SRST gateway in normal mode play the local music - is it the same commend " multicast moh x.x.x.x port xxx route z.z.z.z " ?

what does the commend "route " do , it is optional in that if it is not there then use the source ip address but what does it actually do- isn`t the multicast address which plays the music ?

Also our deployment will have a SRST router and a second GW as well due to the number of PRI`s and for redundancy so how does the non-SRST GW know about the local MOH in the SRST router or do you also add the music file on this GW as well and again how is it played?

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Take a look at the following link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_feature_guide09186a00802d1c31.html

When you configure SRST to play multicast MOH, it will continue to multicast these packets even during normal operation. The trick is to configure the phones to listen to this multicast stream.

The "route" option indicates up to 4 IP addresses from which the multicast stream will be sourced. If the "route" option is not specified, the IP address in the "ip source-address" command will be used.

The non-SRST GW does not need to know about the local MOH on the other router except to use the local stream to play MOH. This is taken care of by CCM which tells the gateway to listen for multicast MOH at a particular address.

See the details for configuring the gateway and CCM in the link above.

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Take a look at the following link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_feature_guide09186a00802d1c31.html

When you configure SRST to play multicast MOH, it will continue to multicast these packets even during normal operation. The trick is to configure the phones to listen to this multicast stream.

The "route" option indicates up to 4 IP addresses from which the multicast stream will be sourced. If the "route" option is not specified, the IP address in the "ip source-address" command will be used.

The non-SRST GW does not need to know about the local MOH on the other router except to use the local stream to play MOH. This is taken care of by CCM which tells the gateway to listen for multicast MOH at a particular address.

See the details for configuring the gateway and CCM in the link above.

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

Normal GW- I wasn`t thinking

One more question though , If you have a site with no SRST but with E1 gateways only where do you place the local source of MOH and how to confiure it so the phones will look locally for it or do you always need SRST router? In which case I susposed you could have the smallest SRST router for the MOH to be loaded? Where would the MOH sit

The MOH would reside in flash on the local router. The router would need to be capable of running SRST or CME. Most gateways capable of handling an E1 should be capable of handling SRST and multicasting the MOH.

Brandon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: