Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring HSRP in a Multiple Vlan environment

arabindas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everybody,

I was planing to have redundancy to our gateway using HSRP. the 4506 switch that we have consists of multiple vlan interfaces. I was wondering, if I could have all the interfaces in the same HSRP standby group. Or all the vlan interfaces need to have different HSRP groups? A sample configuration would help a lot.

Thanks

Arabinda

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Arabinda,

I'm happy that this time md5 authentication worked

probably the best thing is to have the authentication string created and saved in a text file and to copy from it to both routers.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Arabinda,

using the same group is not permitted on router Vlan subifs.

With a multilayer switch like 4506 the usage of the same group is permitted and can provide a scalability gain.

(reduced number of MAC entries in the packet flter)

In order to avoid possible problems when by accident two broadcast domains are joined I would use HSRP with authentication using a different password in each vlan.

And last but not least using HSRP requires two distinct devices to provide a real effect on redundancy.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

Thanks for your response. I would configure that in lab and let you know.

We have two distinct devices for HSRP, one is the C4506 and another is a 3750G switch (2 3750 switches stacked). Hope that would give us real effect on redundancy.

Thanks

Arabinda

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I was wondering, if I could have all the interfaces in the same HSRP standby group.

You sure can.

S1#sh ver | i IOS

Cisco IOS Software, C3560 Software (C3560-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.2(25)SEE4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

interface Vlan4

ip address 4.4.4.4 255.255.255.0

!

interface Vlan10

ip address 10.10.10.10 255.255.255.0

!

interface Vlan40

ip address 40.40.40.40 255.255.255.0

__

adding the HSRP config:

interface Vlan4

ip address 4.4.4.4 255.255.255.0

standby ip 4.4.4.1

!

interface Vlan10

ip address 10.10.10.10 255.255.255.0

standby ip 10.10.10.1

!

interface Vlan40

ip address 40.40.40.40 255.255.255.0

standby ip 40.40.40.1

3w1d: %HSRP-6-STATECHANGE: Vlan4 Grp 0 state Standby -> Active

3w1d: %HSRP-6-STATECHANGE: Vlan10 Grp 0 state Standby -> Active

3w1d: %HSRP-6-STATECHANGE: Vlan40 Grp 0 state Standby -> Active

S1#sh stand | i Group

Vlan4 - Group 0

Vlan10 - Group 0

Vlan40 - Group 0

HTH,

__

Edison.

Hi Edison, thanks a lot for the sample config.

Hello Giuseppe,

As mentioned by you, I configured separate hsrp authentication passwords for two separate vlans 10 and 11. For one of the vlan 10, it works fine, but for the second vlan interface (vlan 11) it always error as:

" 00:25:25: %HSRP-4-BADAUTH: Bad authentication from 10.0.11.3, group 10, remote s

tate Active"

Regards,

Arabinda

Make sure that you have the same type of authentication: md5 vs text on both sides.

--John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Hey John,

Instead of md5, now i have configured, simple text on both switches and now it seems to be working. Do not know why, when I had configured md5 at both sides, the problem had arised.

Thanks

Arabinda

Interesting. You may want to try to set it back now. :-)

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Hey John,

I removed all the config and reconfigured back the authentication to md5 key-string and now it works :-).

Do not know what i had missed last time.

Regards

Arabinda

Often authentication fails because when entering the password a space was also entered inadvertently.

__

Edison.

Hello Arabinda,

I'm happy that this time md5 authentication worked

probably the best thing is to have the authentication string created and saved in a text file and to copy from it to both routers.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thank you everybody for your help and suggestions.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: