cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Future of bandwidth, circuits

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Folks, I need to write standard for WAN routers to be placed on our branch offices, MPLS network.

Current standard is 2851 routers.

I am considering 2821 instead.

My question is:

In 6 years from now, do you see circuits cost decreasing so that it would be justifiable getting a bigger route to handle bigger circuits?

Currently I have major sites running up to 4xT1's and I could do that just fine with a 2821 instead of 2851.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Similar to Collin, I think 6 years to too long a timeframe for deciding what model router to install today.

Cisco's recommendations for sizing their ISRs, I think, is very conservative (but safe). If you look at the Fast/CEF switching Mbps ratings in the attachment for the various 2800 models, you might find sizing at about 25% of the Mbps rating provides a reasonable cap for duplex bandwidth being processed by the box for "normal" traffic processing. Using that as a guideline, 4xT1 shouldn't be a problem for a 2821 and even a 2811 might suffice. (Load might also depend on how you use use multiple T1s, e.g. separate links, bonded with MLP, bonded with MLP using fragmentation, bonded with ATM IMA.)

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

In 6 years the 2800 series may not be around. I state that we need to use a router that addresses the needs of the business. Never lock yourself into a make/model/vendor if possible. Keep it simple and leave some room for your decision making at the time it is needed.

Some circuit prices go up and some go down. Depends on what ISPs are trying to sell us.

Hope that helps.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Similar to Collin, I think 6 years to too long a timeframe for deciding what model router to install today.

Cisco's recommendations for sizing their ISRs, I think, is very conservative (but safe). If you look at the Fast/CEF switching Mbps ratings in the attachment for the various 2800 models, you might find sizing at about 25% of the Mbps rating provides a reasonable cap for duplex bandwidth being processed by the box for "normal" traffic processing. Using that as a guideline, 4xT1 shouldn't be a problem for a 2821 and even a 2811 might suffice. (Load might also depend on how you use use multiple T1s, e.g. separate links, bonded with MLP, bonded with MLP using fragmentation, bonded with ATM IMA.)

Who knows what will happen in six years. They currently have fiber to my house through my local government. Offering speeds from 10 megs up to OC-192 and above. Gotta love technology.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card