7921 not registering with CME through repeater

descalante2007
Level 1
Level 1

I have this environment:

CME 7.0 running in Cisco2851.

WLC2106 with 6 1242 APs

15 phones 7921

I have to extend the wireless coverage to an specific point (warehouse), 150 meters away. This point only have a PC and a phone, so I don't think a bridge is necessary. I have an 1131 AP configured as repeater. In my tests (locally) I see the 1131 is registering to the main wireless network. Using site survey feature in the 7921 I see the SSID broadcast from the repeater AP, but if I use Neighbor list feature the network is not allocated and obviously the phone can't register with CME. Only for tests I had disabled all security features for this SSID.

The 1131 association table only shows the root AP but it indicates the IP address assigned to the controller.

Can somebody give me some tips to identify what I'm missing?

Thanks in advance

5 Replies 5

migilles
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The WLC doesn't support repeater mode.

Looks like you have some connectivity issues and not per say 7921 specific issues.

If you associate to the same ssid can a laptop ping the CM?

Neighbor list will show once you are authenticated. Site survey mode will just show what's out there. So if not in neighbor list, then is not authenticating to the AP. So I would start simple first with open authentication, then work your way up.

You are right, it is a connectivity issue.

If I set up the phone to use DHCP, it is never reached. If I set up the phone with fixed IP address, the TFTP is never reached. I did some test with a laptop but getting unsuccessful results I wonder how does the DHCP work in an repeater environment.

When you say "The WLC doesn't support repeater mode", do you mean I can NOT extend the coverage with repeaters ?

So, my alternatives are either set up a bridge link to the warehouse or use an autonomous AP and an repeater to have the coverage needed.

Thanks in advance.

Daniel Escalante.

The ap in lightweight mode supports local (ap), H-REAP and bridge mode.

I think H-REAP is a feature not usable for this case, isn't

I'm reading the "Cisco Wireless LAN Controller Configuration Guide", in page 7-19 and follow, Workgrouup Bridge is explained. I think it should be the solution for my requirements, although I will test tomorrow (Wendesday), I have some questions:

The example shows a hub in remote site, I guess it can be replaced with a switch without any problem.

Could it be possible to set another AP attached to the switch to get wireless access? Otherwise, I will need a desktop phone.

The manual indicates NO VLAN are supported (page 7-21), so this option will need PC and phone for this site running in the same VLAN?

I appreciate your assistance.

Daniel Escalante.

H-REAP is typically deployed when there is not a local WLC due to minimal of APs deployed and the connection is over a WAN link (i.e. branch office). If it loses connection to the WLC, then it can fallback to standalone mode and still serve clients. Believe you are trying via wireless link, so yes is different.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card