cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 arp issue

softwareadmin
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 6509 running native IOS 12.2 and for some reason the arp table is almost empty. I also have a couple of 7206 routers on the same network (connected to the 6509) that have a full arp table like I expect to see on my switch. This is the first 6509 I've run in native mode, have I missed some config setting?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Admin,

all depends from what your 6509 is doing on that vlan.

If the two C7206 are the default gateways for the users in the vlan and C6509 is not used by end users what you see can be correct.

If you have configured a routing protocol between the three devices you should see the ARP entries for the IP addresses of the two C7206.

Second test you can do:

take the ARP table of a C7206 and try from the C6509 to ping each host in the list if the ping is successful and you see a sh ip arp for the host after the ping everything should be fine

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Admin,

all depends from what your 6509 is doing on that vlan.

If the two C7206 are the default gateways for the users in the vlan and C6509 is not used by end users what you see can be correct.

If you have configured a routing protocol between the three devices you should see the ARP entries for the IP addresses of the two C7206.

Second test you can do:

take the ARP table of a C7206 and try from the C6509 to ping each host in the list if the ping is successful and you see a sh ip arp for the host after the ping everything should be fine

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Ahhh...that explains what I'm seeing. I am using one of the 7206's as the default gateway for internet access and the other as the gateway for traffic coming back to our office.

Thank You Giuseppe for clarifying that for me.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card