Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.1 - What application uses the administratively scoped IPv4 multicast

lotmueller
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

our Firewall blocked UDP-Requests of CW2000 LMS 3.1 with IP-Address 239.255.2.3 and Port 6155.

With googling I discovered that this IP-Range belongs to "Scoped IPv4 multicasts".

Anybody out there which application inside CW2000 uses multicasts and for what?

As I'm not very familiar with Multicasting can you give me a rough survey?

Thanks in advance

Lothar

7 Replies 7

lotmueller
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

with searching I found that ESS-Process uses UDP-Port 6155.

Are there any possiblities to tell ESS not to multicast the traffic on the LAN-Port, or is that just normal behavior?

Why does ESS (Event Service Software) use that multicast feature?

Many thanks

Lothar

This is part of the ActiveMQ component of ESS. It can be disabled by editing the NMSROOT/objects/ess/conf/activemq.xml file, and changing the line:

to:

Backup this file before making the change. Restart Daemon Manager after making the change.

What are the consequences of disabling this? What is the reason it is enabled by default?

I am seeing constant Multicast traffic to this destination (239.255.2.3:6155) from my test LMS 3.1 server. I googled it and found some information regarding Active-MQ and multicast discovery but I am not sure why this is enabled by default with LMS 3.1?

The line in the .xml isn't exactly as you describe either:

Andy

There is no impact to LMS as we do not make use of the multi-agent sync capabilities of ActiveMQ.

The line you want to change is:

Well, then I'd like to see this change integrated in future releases of LMS.

Update;

Unfortunately this is not fixed with fresh install of LMS 3.2!!!

Lothar

As far as I know, there was no bug or enhancement request made to get this changed, and thus LMS 3.2 will need the same modification to disable the multicast traffic.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: