Views
Helpful
Replies

Moving from 5505 to 5510

shawkins
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys

First post here. I'm currently testing a 5505 for a VPN deployment, but am likely to go live using 5510s. I would like to know if the config on my 5505 can be ported directly onto 5510s, or if it must be re-keyed. Anyone have any experience in this??

Cheers

Stuart

3 Replies 3

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There are many other configuration changes between the two models that you need to cater, for example 5505 interfaces are different. The key is not copied when you do a copy from one device to another AFAIK. Regards

Farrukh

Okay, thanks. So, do you know what happens if I copy a config in and boot it? Does any of it load at all??

Stuart

Stuart,

My understanding is, if you boot the ASA5510 with ASA5505 configuration, the parser will try and load as much information as possible. That is, command lines that can be configured on the ASA5510 will get loaded.

Farrukh pointed two great points that most likely are the only ones you might have issues with when you migrate from 5505 to 5510.

This is what I would do:

1. Configure inside and outside interfaces on the ASA5510.

2. Copy configuration from ASA5505 to ASA5510. Make sure that they are running the same version of software.

3. Re-type the keys for the IPSEC Tunnels, if any.

Regards,

Arul

*Pls rate if it helps*