cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Works User Tracking behind FWSM

ahmedshoaib
Level 4
Level 4

Will Cisco User Tracking Module get the information of server / user those are behind FWSM Module of Cat 6500 Series Switch?

I configure the SNMPv2 on FWSM as well as Switch and allow the SNMP and Cisco works port in FWSM module, but I can't get the information of users and servers those are behind of FWSM module.

Thanks

Best regards;

Shoaib Ahmed

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

FWSM, ASA, and PIX devices are not supported by Campus Manager since they do not support CDP. Therefore, UT will not be able to use them as routers to get ARP data. What I have done in my lab to get around this is to put a router on the same subnet as the firewall, and point my devices to the router as the default gateway. The router learns the ARPs, then redirects the host to the firewall for the real routing.

In our network, the number of devices being not fully supported by Campus Manager has been increasing for a while and I don't expect this trend to change in the near future.

Given that, do we have to live with the fact that CM gets more and more useless, or are there any plans to improve the situation?

Why does Cisco produce devices which lack the functionality needed for CM?

For Security Devices, Cisco has an appliance called Cisco Security Manager which is used to Manage all Cisco Security products like ASA, PIX , FWSM etc. They can also be linked with CS-Mars also.

While theese products may help to raise Cisco's sales volume, they won't solve the original poster's problem.

Yes and we cant do anything about it. Its Cisco's way of marketing things..