cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there a way to preview zoning changes in the CLI

lukebutterworth
Level 1
Level 1

In Fabric manager you can preview zoning changes before you activate a changed zoneset. This is about the only thing I use fabric manager for. Is it possible to preview changes in the CLI?

4 Replies 4

user_4444
Level 1
Level 1

I think if you run "sh zoneset pending" that should show the differences.

I have tried that and it just says no zoneset when I run that command.

The error message should really have stated something like "Command only valid in Enhanced Zoning mode". I will file a change to get the message fixed.

The pending changes are what are waiting to be committed. This is what enhanced mode offers. The zone database is locked while making changes and changes are only applied and database unlocked after you do a commit command. You can abort pending changes which will also free the lock.

The default is basic mode zoning, which does not have a way in cli to display diff between full and active zoneset.

If you want to oonvert to enhanced mode, you do it per VSAN and all switches in VSAN must be in non-interop mode. Recommend you check the config guide.

Thanks.

Enhanced zoning gets you part of the way there, but I disagree that there is a CLI command which truly shows the differences between the active zoneset in a VSAN and the zoneset you're attempting to activate.

This is a feature the GUI has which is almost indispensable. With enhanced zoning I can do a "show zone pending-diff vsan #" from the CLI, but that only shows me what I've changed since I had my lock (and I already had a pretty good idea what that was). What it doesn't tell me is that one of my coworkers went in and made changes to the active zoneset and committed them without activating it. My pending-diff output will show my recent changes, but when I activate that zoneset it may include changes which are not included in the pending-diff output at all.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: