cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Assign VLAN via DHCP

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Does anyone know if this can be done to a workstation? I know phones can be done through option codes, but I think those codes are vendor specific. Is there an option that anyone knows of that will assign a workstation to a vlan?

Thanks!

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

John

There are 2 options that i know of

1) VMPS (Vlan Membership Policy Server) where you set up a database of workstation mac-addresses to vlan mappings. Very time consuming and i'm not aware of that many people using it. Old technology to a large extent replacd by

2) 802.1x - you can authenticate users/machines on the switches and do a dynamic vlan assignment based on their credentials. You need a AAA server and it again it is not something you configure in a couple of minutes :-)

I'm not aware of a way to do it via DHCP but others may know.

Jon

View solution in original post

You need to configure dot1x authentication on the switch.

When the workstation connects to the switchport it will ask for authentication and on successfull authentication it will put in a particular vlan and on auth fail onto a different vlan.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

John

There are 2 options that i know of

1) VMPS (Vlan Membership Policy Server) where you set up a database of workstation mac-addresses to vlan mappings. Very time consuming and i'm not aware of that many people using it. Old technology to a large extent replacd by

2) 802.1x - you can authenticate users/machines on the switches and do a dynamic vlan assignment based on their credentials. You need a AAA server and it again it is not something you configure in a couple of minutes :-)

I'm not aware of a way to do it via DHCP but others may know.

Jon

Thanks!

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

You need to configure dot1x authentication on the switch.

When the workstation connects to the switchport it will ask for authentication and on successfull authentication it will put in a particular vlan and on auth fail onto a different vlan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card