cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP with UC Manager 6.1

Ken Douglas
Level 1
Level 1

Our vendor has set up our Unified Communications Manager ver 6.1 Publisher to act as the voice network's DHCP server. We're installing initially about 400 phones but plan to grow to more than 2000 telephony end-points (phones, ATAs, etc.) quickly. Obviously, putting the DHCP server on the UC servers is not a best practice (and we'll have to move the DHCP services).

My question is, if the Publisher fails, are DHCP services automatically available through the subscribers?

I know that most services are replicated between the PUB and SUBs, but is DHCP one of them? In our case, we have the PUB (and two SUBs) at a central location; networked through a MAN, we have another SUB at a call center. Even with redundant, path diverse fiber connections, its possible that we could lose connections between the central site and the remote call center. If DHCP services are only on the PUB, I see this as a big vulnerability.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

no, it's not replicated. as with windows versions you need to create the pools per server.

we do not support having more than 1000 devices using DHCP from a single server, if you do so it will become unsupported.

+1000 requires standalone DHCPs.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

no, it's not replicated. as with windows versions you need to create the pools per server.

we do not support having more than 1000 devices using DHCP from a single server, if you do so it will become unsupported.

+1000 requires standalone DHCPs.

HTH

java

HTH

java