cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch Stacks

nygenxny123
Level 1
Level 1

We have some 3120 swichthes that are currently stacked.

I understand these can be considered 1 virtual switch

But is there anyway to configure a seperate IP address for each switch

so that i can log into an individual switch on the stack?

or even give each switch on the stack its own hostname?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

satish_zanjurne
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

1.You can log into individual switch of stack

2.For that you do not need seprate IP Address

3.This command is available only from master switch

4.You can access specific stack members by using the session stack-member-number privileged EXEC command. The stack member number range is 1 to 9.

5.Additionally You can access all or specific stack members by using the remote command {all | stack-member-number} privileged EXEC command. The stack member number range is 1 to 9.

6.The stack member number is appended to the system prompt. For example, Switch-2# is the prompt in privileged EXEC mode for stack member 2, and the system prompt for the stack master is Switch.

7.Enter exit to return to the CLI session on the stack master. Only the show and debug commands are available in a CLI session to a specific stack member.

HTH...rate if helpful..

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

lffrwatson
Level 1
Level 1

I dont think you can do this. I know with the Nortel switches this was not an option. The advantage of stacking a switch is having a massive backplane of bandwidth to use between the switches. And logically creating one virtual switch. And also if a switch fails in a stack the others wont suffer.

satish_zanjurne
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

1.You can log into individual switch of stack

2.For that you do not need seprate IP Address

3.This command is available only from master switch

4.You can access specific stack members by using the session stack-member-number privileged EXEC command. The stack member number range is 1 to 9.

5.Additionally You can access all or specific stack members by using the remote command {all | stack-member-number} privileged EXEC command. The stack member number range is 1 to 9.

6.The stack member number is appended to the system prompt. For example, Switch-2# is the prompt in privileged EXEC mode for stack member 2, and the system prompt for the stack master is Switch.

7.Enter exit to return to the CLI session on the stack master. Only the show and debug commands are available in a CLI session to a specific stack member.

HTH...rate if helpful..

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card