Views
Helpful
Replies

BLADE SERVER with CISCO IGESM

sateeshk10
Level 1
Level 1

Hi..

I am planning to take blade server with cisco switches.. I want to coonect to core switch as a etherchannel..

I am planning to use mgmt vlan 20 in core switch for all my equipments..

When i am going trgh the forums, I can not shutdown the vlan1..How can I allow vlan 20 in my blade switche and make it as mgmt vlan.....

And also I need simple info on this blade switches....

like which ports need to be mgmt and uplinks etc...

I am newbee to this blade servers...

Thanks in advance...

Regards

sateesh kumar.k

6 Replies 6

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You manage the bladecenter switch thru the management module on the bladeserver itself . Management does not occur thru the 4 uplinks 17,18,19,20 so it will always be vlan 1 for the management in the bladecenter switch. Just put a port into vlan 20 and connect it to the management port on the bladecenter. All other "server" traffic does indeed flow up thru those 4 ports on the igesm switches.

Hi,

Means I neeed to extend the separete connection to core sw from mgmt fastethernet port and makt it access port(vlan 20) and assing the IP to fast ethernet right??

Regards

sateesh kumar.

Hi,

Could you pls give me the reply.

Regards

sateesh

That is correct if vlan 20 is your mgt. vlan and you want to address the cisco switches in vlan 20 , though it will still be vlan 1 when you look at the config in the switches themselves .

As others are implying, the internal ports, gi0/15 and 0/16 are in effect proxied ports for the IBM blade center MM.

The VLAN number you use, in practice, for management is irrelevant, just as long as you make the SVI the same vlan number you assign those two ports two....and make sure that VLAN number is different than the data plane...

This is covered in gross detail in the IBM IGESM implemenation guide

Hi,

I a sorry i didn`t catch your point as i am newbee to IBM blade IGESM..

My mgmt vlan(20) sits on core sw..

I am going to extend the two uplinks as port channel ...

You want me to extend the fast0/0 coonection from IGESM to core switch for mgmt????

Whatz the 15 and 16 ports..

HOw to assign the mgmt IP to IGSM?

Could you pls provide the URL for IBM IGESM implemention guide.

Thanks in advance...

Regards

sateesh

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card