Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS Upgrade on 7606

Level 1
Level 1

I am upgrading the IOS on my 7606 to SFX15. I am running 2 sup720-3B's. One is active one is standby. If I load the the new ios onth disk1 on the active sup and reboot will the standby automatically update also or si there something I have to do.

7 Replies 7

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Let's assume the active SUP is on module 5 and standby SUP is on module 6. If you put the new IOS on disk1 of module 5. Only module 5 will be able to boot from it.

You have to put the new IOS on both SUP's file system, sup-boodisk, disk0 or disk1. And then configure the boot statement to boot from the new IOS. As a fall back, you can have your current IOS as back up by prepending the new boot statement in front of the old one. Make sure you have enough disk space to hold both IOS'. You can verify this with the show boot command. At the very last, you have to reboot the SUP's of course.

Also, depends on what version of IOS you are running right now, some versions are not compatible with each other. What I mean is you cannot have module 5 to have IOS X and module 6 to have IOS Y.

HTH,

jerry

Thanks. That helps. How do I get it on the HOT or standby sup. I did a copy tftp disk1: and it put it on the active disk1. How do I get it on the other sup.

Hi,

You can verify it by using the show file system command.

To copy the image to the standby SUP, you have to use the copy tftp slavedisk1.

HTH,

jerry

I have copied SFX15 to both disk1 on my active sup and to slavedisk1 on my HOT sup. now don't I have to put a boot statement in on my HOT sup config. similar to the one on my active sup. Something telling it to boot using the new IOS. How do i so this? can i session to the HOT sup.

Hi,

Your are correct, you have to change the boot statement. Here are the steps I normally do:

1. Verify the new image is on disk1:

dir disk1

dir slavedisk1

2. Display the current boot statement in the configuration:

sh run | i boot system

copy this to notepad

3. Changing the boot statement:

config t

no boot system xxxx <-Removing the old statement

boot system flash disk1:yyyy <-yyyy is the file name of the new image

boot system flash xxxx <-putting the old statement back as a backup

exit

wri mem

4. Verify the boot statement is in startup config and bootvar:

sh start | i boot system <-make sure there are two (2) boot statements in the config

show boot

At this point, you should see 2 file names under boot variable. The first one is the new image, follow by the old image.

Last step is reload, you should really schedule a outage window to do this. Just incase something might happen.

Lastly, if you are running SSO show redundancy, and both images are SXF train, you should be able to reset the standby first and wait for it to come up before reseting the active (to minimize down time). Please see the following docuement which explain how to perform all the steps I've mention above and SSO switch over:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_example09186a00807714cb.shtml#native

HTH,

jerry

You have been a great help. One more question. How do i know that when I reset the standby the new image will take affect. right now I have both sfx4 and sfx15 in slavedisk1: when I do a hw-module module 6 reset how do I know that sfx15 will now be loaded.

Yes. You can try the following command

show mod

You will be able to see the software on the module. There are two fields with the version number, HW and SW. SW is the IOS, HW is the firmware. Also pay attention to Status, it should be OK.

Regards,

jerry

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card