cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Inter-Site WAN MLPPP Use

mikem
Level 1
Level 1

I have multiple WAN sites with dual P2P T-1 links between them. Right now, we are doing load balancing on them which isn't using bandwidth efficiently due to most of the traffic only going to a handful of destination IP addresses. I would like to use MLPPP to span the links instead, but I didn't know if:

1. That would adversly impact VOIP traffic.

2. If there is any magic to provisioning the lines.

The T-1 circuits are conventionally provisioned data lines from AT&T, and the routers are 2851's with two VWIC-1MFT-T1 cards in them. Any insight or configuration tips would be appriciated. Mike Morgan - Network Engineer.

4 Replies 4

merryllem
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Mike,

I have clarification question. Is this circuit MPLS or P2P? The reason I asked is if it is MPLS that would mean that ATT PE would need to also support MLPPP. This might be a bit off topic to your question but I wanted to bring that up.

The link below might help

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk698/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094660.shtml#link_frag

The circuits are P2P conventional T-1s. We haven't moved to MPLS as our needs have only been about 2Mb average. Thanks for the reply! Mike

Mike

I would not think that configuring the links for PPP multilink would have any impact on VOIP. The configuration is fairly simple. You configure the multilink interface which is a virtual interface and where the IP address is configured. It would look something like this:

interface Multilink1

ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.252

ip virtual-reassembly

no keepalive

no cdp enable

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

and on the physical interfaces you make sure the encapsulation is ppp, remove the IP address and assign them to the multilink:

interface Serial0/0

description multilink connection to xxx

no ip address

encapsulation ppp

no fair-queue

no cdp enable

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

interface Serial0/1

description multilink connection to xxx

no ip address

encapsulation ppp

no fair-queue

no cdp enable

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Maybe MLPPP isn't your best choice here, alternate solutions are always worth a look.

An example is a new Cisco Express Forwarding feature that balances traffic across multiple links with the twist that it includes source and destination ports in the path selection decision. Its a "12.4" "T" train feature that is easy to implement and works great. Upgrade the IOS and add one command, its that simple.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipswitch/configuration/guide/cef_load_balancng.html

ip cef load-sharing algorithm {original | tunnel [id] | universal [id] include-ports {source [id] | [destination] [id] | source [id] destination [id]}}

Example:

Router(config)# ip cef load-sharing algorithm include-ports source destination

The reasoning is different conversations use different source/destination pairs, simple actually and brilliant at the same time.

Cheers,

Brian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card