Views
Helpful
Replies

redistribution

ilnaiduccna
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

Can we redistribute between two different networks (two LAN segments).

For example I have one network 10.28.2.1 and 10.38.2.8.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Naidu.

19 Replies 19

lejoe.thomas
Level 3
Level 3

I cant imagine why you would want to resdistribute two subnets. Resdistribution is used in situations where an organisation is running multiple routing protocols and it is required to pass routes from one routing protocol into another. If this is not what you were looking for, please provide some more details.

Hi Lejoe,

Thank you for your early reply. I know that redistribution can be don between two different routing protocols.

1. location 'A' network 10.25.2.10, protocol RIP

2. location 'B' network 10.28.2.10, protocol BGP then here can we redistribute?

My question is I have RIP for one subnet and BGP for another subnet in this case is it possible or not?

Regards,

Naidu.

Yes, you can do a mutual resdistribution. However, care should be taken when redistributing BGP into RIP, as RIP is not designed to handle routing tables of that size.

Hi lejoe,

Thanks for your great response,

Can you let me know what mutual redistribution and what cammon & main things need to take care because it was a production network and if anything wrong will be highly impact.

Regards,

Naidu.

I dont have much experience configuring redistribution for BGP. However, the steps would be.

1) Redistribute BGP into RIP under the RIP routing process

2) Redistribute RIP into BGP under the BGP routing process.

3) Make sure route filtering (route maps, distribute lists) is configured for each of the routing process (RIP and BGP) to permit only specific routes. This prevents redistributed routes from being re-advertised.

For eg, after redistributing RIP routes into BGP, you would want to prevent BGP from readvertising those routes back into to RIP. By configuring a distribute list under the RIP routing process, it can check any inbound RIP updates against an access-list and permit only those routes which are matched.

Please test this configuration in a sample lab before applying it to a production environment. Examine the topics such as redistribution and route filtering. Finally, verify routing tables thoroughly for your test implementation.

Hi Lejoe,

Thanks for your Great suggestions, still I need some more information in this regards it would be great helpfull to me.

1. How we can configure virtual redistribution like steps, commands

2. Do you have any idea about configuration of the below things like what are the step by steps and commands.

a. BGP into RIP under RIP routing process.

b. As well RIP into BGP under BGP routing process.

c. And route filtering (route maps, distribute lists)

Regards,

Naidu.

a. BGP into RIP under RIP routing process.

router rip

redistribute bgp metric

b. As well RIP into BGP under BGP routing process.

router bgp

redistribute rip metric

c. And route filtering (route maps, distribute lists)

This is applicable only if you intend to configure mutual redistribution on more than one device to prevent route feedbacks.

Please use the above only as guidelines, refer to documentation below before implementation.

BGP Case studies(Configuring redistribution/Route Maps in BGP)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a00800c95bb.shtml#redistribution

RIP redistribution

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/internetworking/case/studies/cs001.html

HTH

Lejoe

Hi Lejoe,

Thank you so much for your great help in this regard.

I got more things from you, as you suggest i will do it in lab then go to production network.

If you have any good suggestion please revert me it would be great appreciate.

Regards,

Naidu.

Laxman,

I am glad I could be of help. Configuring redistribution is the easy part. Adding route filtering [route-maps or distribution lists] so that routes are selected from appropriate routing protocol is the hard part and one that must be thoroughly tested. Like I said before, if mutual redistribution is only configured one device, things will again be simple. However, if there are multiple routers on which redistribution is going to be configured [i.e two or more routers advertising the above subnets], filtering must be done.

If you run into any problems, please feel free to post your question.

Regards

Lejoe

Hi Lejoe,

Nice to see your reply.

What if both ends were using RIP only, is there any way to do so.

Regards,

Naidu.

Laxman,

Assuming you're still referring to redistribution, if both ends are running RIP, they can exchange routes without redistribution because they are communicating using the same language (RIP).

Lejoe

Hi Lejoe,

Even they are in different LAN segments also no need redistribution.

Regards,

Naidu.

Naidu,

Please provide a network topology, so things will be a lot more easier. Depending on whether you have specified the network command for the address of the interface or group of interfaces connected to these LAN segements, you may or may not specify redistribute command.

However if you are running the same protocol throughout, it would be simpler to just add those using the network command.

HTH

Lejoe

Lejoe,

Hope doing well.

Sure we will discuss about network topology once get clear.

Could you tell me if is there any difference between Distribution & Redistribution. Give me is there any usefull documents.

Regards,

Naidu.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco