Views
Helpful
Replies

Multimode at 1Km

mark.hall
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a couple of 2950's I need to connect over a length of multimode fibre (50/125), my problem is that the total length is nearly 1Km. I'm aware that the maximum distance the cisco GBics etc and SFP's are a maximum of 550m - but I need more!!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (expect change the fibre to single mode which I cant do!!!)

Many Thanks,

Mark.

5 Replies 5

e.claveau
Level 1
Level 1

I think what you're looking for is a multimode conditioning cable (CAB-GELX-625). Although you need LX/LH (singlemode) GBIC's for it to work.

Thanks for the response. I think I'll go for a media converter instead which will give me a 'guaranteed' service up to 2Km on multimode (alebit with a reduced throughput of 100Mbps which is fine for this application).

Well here is the pickle, an SFP is produced by a Cisco competitor that will do Gigabit over multimode for a max distance of 2 KM. If your switch is a 2950G then use the command "service unsupported-transceiver" ( this is a hidden command )on the switch reboot it and purchase a pair of AT-SPEX SFPs from Allied Telesyn they use LC connection like everybody else. They are very new, very cool, and nobody else to my knowledge can match them. Yup I have a pair and they do work, but you didn't hear it from me ;-).

Cheers,

Brian

bbaillie
Level 1
Level 1

OOPS, mybad, the 2950 series doesn't support SFPs, you will need a 2940-8TF or go to the 2960 series for the SFP support at minimum. I looked again and you are using 50/125 I tested on 62.5/125. Personally I would contact Allied Telesyn for a demo pair, but then again they are less than $450.00 American each so definitely worth the risk.

Cheers,

Brian

Hi Brian,

Many thanks for this info - certainly keep this handy info for the future.

Cheers.

Mark

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: