Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Process Switching in Routers

Looking for a white paper or SRND document that categorizes router commands into those that are process switched and those that can be fast switched or cef.

Main concern is with a router that is running as a firewall and doing NAT/PAT and IP Inspect. My guess is that these processes are process switched in the 2800/3800 series routers.

I want to recommend the right size for the custiomer.

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Richard-

Here's a product performance sheet. I hope this helps in what you are looking for. If you ever find that magical sheet, please share it!

Thanks. I did have this sheet already. What I am looking for is what thing on the router puts things into process switching vs fast switching.

Specificly, on the security side, is this all process switched for NAT/PAT and IP Inspect?

I don't recall seeing a nice fact sheet that notes what features are process switched and which are fast switched. I recall I have seen occasional mention of a feature being moved from process switched to fast switched in a IOS upgrade note.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: