Views
Helpful
Replies

Router booting to rommon

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

All,

I have a 2800 series router that boots to rommon mode only after being left off of power for a while. I left it off and disconnected from power last night, and I came in this morning to find out it booted in rommon again. I can change the config register back to 0x2102, and it boots the config with no problems.

From rommon mode, how can I troubleshoot this problem to see what's going on? Is there a way that I can find what the current config register is when in rommon mode?

Thanks,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
3 Replies 3

lffrwatson
Level 1
Level 1

When you change the config register to 0x2102 and reboot it everything loads properly. Once it boots back up normally and loads the config file you need to once again change the config register to 0x2102 and write it to memory. Just because you change the config reg in rommon mode does not mean it saves the config to flash. You must do it again after the router boots up. Hope this helps.

Yeah, I did that yesterday. Then I came in this morning and it boot to rommon yet again. It's off of power again, so I'm going to try later this afternoon to see if it boots.

Thanks,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

hi John,

It's commonly happen cause that problem is the flash memory.

Maybe the card is not properly plug into the slot, you can try to unplug and then plug it again.

Other possible cause, flash memory is damage. So the router can not boot to IOS image. You can try with the another flash memory with IOS in it.

may it's help you.

:)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card