Views
Helpful
Replies

Extending Networks over L3

tomek0001
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I'm trying to get different options on a way to bridge two networks in different sites. Basically I have two locations that need to extend VLAN(s) with about 15ms latency between them.

1. My questions what are the options?

2. Does anyone know of any performance effect this could have?

I know I could do a BVI, but to my best knowledge that would only bridge one VLAN (I would need multiple vlans).

I was trying to avoid bridging a GRE tunnel (extra overhead), but I think that's another way to do this.

Is there other method I'm missing?

Thank you in advance.

5 Replies 5

Collin,

I think that QinQ would only work for switches (to the best of my knowledge), in this case i'm looking for something on the routers.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Tomasz,

L2tpv3 provides efficient L2 transport including Vlan based 802.1Q subifs.

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t2/feature/guide/gtl2tpv3.html#wp1043064

L2TPv3 is supported from ISR 2800 series.

Or you can use a L2 MPLS service like EoMPLS from a provider if the traffic volume is expected to be high (in the order of 1Gps)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Giuseppe

This would be running on a 3845 with an OC-3 link. Would you say that L2 MPLS is better suited for this? Would L2TPv3 introduce delay on such a link?

Thank you,

Hello Tomasz,

all depends from the traffic volume you need to transfer that depends from applications or other needs like Disaster recovery.

If an asynch mirroring is what is asked (and this is the only choice if the two sites are more distant then 200 km) an OC-3 can be good.

If the requirements are higher I would go to an EoMPLS solution instead of building a L2TPv3 solution with two 6500 with Sup720 and you could use cheaper LAN switches as your CPE devices.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: