cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Pinging a Router through a switch

sergeimavashev
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to ping my Router 1700 Ver 12.1 through switch 2950 from my computer.

My computer IP is 192.168.1.101,

Switch VLAN 1 IP is 192.168.1.102

My Router ip int f0 is 192.168.1.100, all default gateways are point to F 0/0 except router. But I can't even ping the switch. I'm not sure if I need VLAN trunking because the switch IOS doesn't support it. What am I doing wrong ? help...

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sergey

Some basic things to check

1) all devices have the same subnet mask - presumably 255.255.255.0

2) It doesn't really matter what IP the switch has as that is only used for management

3) You don't need trunking but you need to make sure that the port that the router connects to and the port that your PC connects to are in the same vlan.

Jon

Sergey

In addition to the good points that Jon makes I would suggest that you check the cable that connects your computer to the switch. If your computer can not ping the switch, and if your computer and the switch management address are in the same VLAN then there is something wrong between your computer and the switch. My guess is some issue with the cable.

If our suggestions have not led to a solution then it might be helpful if you would post the configuration of the switch port to which your computer is connected and the configuration of the switch port to which the router is connected. It might also help if you post the output of ipconfig from your computer (assuming that it is windows).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for the good advice, I believe my computer and the router ports were in different VLANs. Thanks very much.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card