Views
Helpful
Replies

ISR : Behaviour to Ping packets

gauravprakash
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Do Cisco ISR routers give low priority to ICMP packets (request/reply)? Is this inbuilt in IOS ?

Rgds,

Gaurav

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I think that there are at least two ways to understand the question from Gaurav. Thomas and Joseph have understood it in terms of priority in forwarding the traffic. But I wonder if Gaurav was asking about the processing of ICMP (when the ICMP destination is the router itself). And the answer to that is that yes the IOS treats processing ICMP packets and generating responses as a lower priority task. And that is built into IOS.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

tcordier
Level 1
Level 1

No. The default configuration for a Cisco router is a single FiFo (first-in, first-out) queue. All packets are send in the order in which they arrive. Only when you configure QoS or queuing other that FiFo (e.g. Priority queueing), the router will apply different priorities to packets.

HTH, Thomas

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not 100% positive what ISR defaults are for all interface types, but defaults usually were WFQ for E1 and slower interfaces and FIFO for faster interfaces.

If WFQ is active, it treats flows equally if they have the same IP Precence marking. If the markings differ, better marked packets are provided a higher proportion of bandwidth. Usually, ping packets will have a BE marking, but the marking can be increased (for instance using a router's extended ping command).

Marking would not have any impact with FIFO unless WRED is also enabled. (WRED can often also be used with WFQ, but defaults should be WRED not active.)

You are right, I was talking gibberish. For most serial interface below E1 the router will use WFQ. Going back to the question at hand, I would think that WFQ should give more priority to ICMP packets, rather than less, as WFQ is designed to favor low-volume traffic. The observed performance for the ping packets should not be caused by a default router behavior.

- Thomas

I think that there are at least two ways to understand the question from Gaurav. Thomas and Joseph have understood it in terms of priority in forwarding the traffic. But I wonder if Gaurav was asking about the processing of ICMP (when the ICMP destination is the router itself). And the answer to that is that yes the IOS treats processing ICMP packets and generating responses as a lower priority task. And that is built into IOS.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Good point Rick!

For the Gaurav, if you need more accurate router ping response, using SLA pings with a SLA responder can be used to offset the issue of a router's low priority processing of normal ping requests.

I was unaware of that. Is that documented somewhere? I could not find anything related to that.

Thanks, Thomas

NB: I know Cisco describes WFQ as favoring light bandwidth flows, but from actually watching how it queues flows and weighs them, along with the theory how WFQ should function, I'm not 100% certain "favor" is truly descriptive except in the sense that heavy bandwidth flows might not adversely impact the light bandwidth flows, as they're likely to do when performing FIFO queuing.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card