Views
Helpful
Replies

3825 unknown protocol drops

mariov652
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I've searched the forums and online, but haven't yet been able to work out a solution to the "unkown protocol drops" for my particular setup. I see these incrementing on on both Gigabit interfaces (first on the LAN int, then on the WAN int) on our 3825.

I have looked at the discussion here "http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=LAN%2C%20Switching%20and%20Routing&topicID=.ee71a04&fromOutline=true&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.2cc0e9e3/0"

but haven't been able to get a decent reply from the router's snmp service.

Running a wireshark trace on the LAN interface, while monitoring the "unkown protocol drops" with "sh run | inc uknown" I notice the incrementation occur on the LAN interface but don't notice which protocol is to blame. A few seconds later, I notice the WAN interface's counter increase and wireshark shows ICMP V2 join/requests between router and a number of clients at the same time.

This immediately seems to lead to the conclusion that there are different IGMP version requests occuring. The problem is, I don't see this in the wireshark montioring.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

The setup is simply: 3825 WAN-g0/0, LAN-g0/1 to 3750 switch port VLAN'd.

Thanks,

Mario

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Mario,

In general DTP or VTP frames from switches can be a reason in LAN interfaces.

For the WAN interface that is a LAN too:

in addition

if the router in the other side is running IS-IS and you router doesn't the IS_IS hello pdus count as unknown in the order of 1 every 10 seconds.

Is the rate of increments constant over time or do you see spikes of unknown protocol count number ?

This could help also.

It looks like you see some peaks over time not a regular increment.

However, if the router declares the packets on the LAN side dropped for unknown protocol there shouldn't be a direct correlation with the packets that increment the counters on the WAN interface.

There can be hosts/routers on both sides that are running IPv6 and your router is single stack IPv4 only ando so IPv6 packets can count as unknown protocol dropped ?

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card