cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

dot1q Trunking with NM-T3 card...

mgar18777
Level 1
Level 1

Yet another question. I have a test network environment setup and I'm trying to setup trunking between my two switches. My question is, what encapsulation do my serial interfaces on the routers need to be to allow dot1q trunking? Right now the encap is HDLC. I've included a network drawing attachment.

TIA!

14 Replies 14

don-sullivan
Level 1
Level 1

I'm not sure why you'd use dot1q trunking in this example. Will you be doing intervlan routing on switch 1 or switch 2?

Based on the diagram you've provided the encapsulation between the routers is fine. No need to use dot1q, just set the clock rate on one of them.

Yes, intervlan routing and VTP.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

802.1q runs on ethernet. You can't make serial interfaces run 802.1q.

Jon

Obviously, but maybe mgar's concern is to allow either of his routers to perform inter-VLAN routing for each respective Ethernet segment, IN ADDITION to routing VLAN traffic across the serial link.

If that's indeed what you're going for mgar, you need to go into interface config mode for your Fa0/0 interfaces on each router and configure the "encapsulation dot1q ____" command (fill in ____ with the ID of the vlan you want the router to know about).

(Please rate helpful posts.)

Yes, that is exactly what I want to do. I'll give that a try (on Monday) and update this post.

Seth

I wasn't trying to be difficult/funny and what may be to obvious to you may not be obvious to someone else.

Maybe Mgar's concern is to allow vlan traffic to be routed across the connection but i didn't interpret the question that way.

I do try to be helpful :-)

Jon

Who said you were being difficult? Who said you were missing the obvious?

All I did was offer _my_ take on mgar's question...

Seth

Looks like a misunderstanding. I wasn't saying i missed the obvious rather the way you said obviously - may have been obvious to you and to me but the OP may not have known this.

Anyway not worth worrying about.

Jon

I don't have the option for "encapsulation dot1q ____" on either of my routers. I'm working with two C2650XM's. One is ver 12.3(14)T7 and the other is ver 12.3(5a).

Where are you trying to configure this ? It needs to be under the interface eg.

int fa0/0

encapsulation dot1q

If is is still not available could you post the full IOS version.

Jon

Ok, I had to create sub-if on each router to configure the dot1q encap. So if I want to stretch my VLAN 1 across both my routers to my switches, do I use "encap dot1q 1" on both router interfaces?

Mike

Stretching a L2 vlan across a routed link ie. your serial connections is very different from what you proposed in your diagram.

Your diagram shows vlan 1 on one side and vlan 2 on the other side and the responses you have had were to do with how to allow these 2 vlans to talk to each other.

If you want to stretch one vlan across then you need to look at bridging or L2TPv3 which is something very different.

Could you clarify exactly what you want to do ?

Jon

Ah, I apologize for the confusion. I'm, obviously, new to Cisco, so my terminology is a little skewed, to say the least. =) I guess I should have been more clear on my original post, I am trying to stretch my vlans, and I guess I wasn't aware that you can't create dot1q encap on a serial interface. Than again, this is why I'm practicing in a test environment. So, to answer your question, I am trying to stretch my vlans accross my routers, according to the drawings setup. Is this easily doable with my current setup?

Mike

No need to apologize :-)

L2TPv3 will allow you to do this. Not sure how "easily doable" it is - really depends on what you mean by easy !

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t2/feature/guide/gtl2tpv3.html

The above is a link for L2TPV3 and how to set it up. I believe your IOS version should support it but you can check by trying out some of the commands from this example in the same document -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t2/feature/guide/gtl2tpv3.html#wp1046175

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: