2112-K9 WLAN Controller + Air AP1242G-A-K9 deployment

Unanswered Question
Nov 7th, 2008

7 Air AP1242G-A-K9 (with one uni-directional external antenna each of the AP) were successfully converted to lightweight APs and has successfully registered with the 2112-K9 WLAN Controller.

There is no VLAN or subnet in the networks so all the required ip addresses are just located on the same network. Because WLAN controller has only 2 PoE ports, additional PoE switches were added.

The installation and basic simple configuration was done and working. Please see the attached diagram.

Questions:

1. How can I configure the controller so that radio Transmit Power is reduced OR customer's requirements to contain the wireless signal only to the room as much as possible will be met? I've seen in the controller guides document and it says Radio wireless Tx power is controlled dynamically???

2. I tried connecting one of the APs directly to the PoE ports of the controller (port 7 OR 8) and found that it is not able to acquire ip address and was not listed in the controller's wireless page??? I also tried doing the the PoE switch directly to either port 2-6 of the controller and APs connected to the switch were not detected by the controller. AP-Manager and Management ip address is assigned both to port 1 of teh controller.

I hope somebody can shade light especially the radio Tx power management and satisfied the customer's requirements above.

Thanks.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 4 (1 ratings)
jeff.kish Mon, 11/10/2008 - 05:59

The transmit power is actually easy to resolve. You can manually set the power level of individual radios via the controller GUI. Go to the Wireless tab and look over on the left for Access Points -> Radios, and select the appropriate network (probably 802.11b/g/n). Find the radio you want to change and configure it using the dropdown on the right. Select Custom for Tx Power Level Assignment, then pick your power level. 1 is full power, 7 is low power.

As for your APs not joining, you'll need to perform some troubleshooting to ensure that your switchports are connected on a layer 2 level to the controller. Do you get a DHCP address if you connect to one of these switchports with a PC?

reynaldotablada Mon, 11/10/2008 - 23:53

Thank you so much jeff.kish this is a very helpful information.

I would just like to confirm that 1 has greater Tx power effect than 7 value being the lowest???

Yes I did try connecting my laptop over the ports 2-6 and did not gets dhcp ip address (port 1 is connected to one of the switches which has connection too going to the corp network with dhcp server. refer to drawing)

any settings that i missed in the controller before these 2-6 ports acts as L2 switch ports on wlan controller?

thanks for the unceasing help!

jeff.kish Tue, 11/11/2008 - 05:50

Yes, power level 1 is maximum power. 7 is low power.

There are no settings that should be needed to configure the switchports to act as switchports. Your setup should be working fine. Are you able to access the controller through the network? Do access points get addresses when connected to your switch?

reynaldotablada Wed, 11/12/2008 - 03:02

Yes I can access this controller from my laptop that is connected to one of the two other switches.

Access points when connected to the other two switches get ip address and are detected by the controller.

This is really a strange behavior I encounter if that's the case.

reynaldotablada Wed, 11/12/2008 - 21:01

I am just thinking would it be because I assign 0 (ZERO) on Management Interface VLAN Identifier (0 = untagged):???

I might need to assign the remaining switchports 2-8 to this VLAN?

What do you think jeff?

jeff.kish Mon, 11/17/2008 - 05:59

Sorry for not responding - I didn't notice your update.

This might well be a VLAN issue. I unfortuntaely have no experience configuring 2100s, so maybe someone else could speak up if they have this experience. If there's a way to configure the switchports for a given VLAN, it would be good to check to make sure they're on the correct one.

What VLANs are the other APs on?

Actions

This Discussion