UC520 with VPN

Unanswered Question
Nov 8th, 2008

We purchased a Cisco UC520 unit recently, and get our reseller to do the installation for us.

We have 1 server in the network, it is a Windows SBS 2003 server, with AD, DNS, and Exchange turn on.

We asked the reseller to help us to configure port forwarding, VPN (dial-up, not site-to-site).

There are some issues with the VPN, according to the engineer, the VPN can only make use of local user database for authentication and cannot make use of the Windows Server for authentication (AD), may I know is that true?

Also when the users are connected via VPN, they will not be able to connect to the server via hostname, and can only connect using IP address, the engineer say that he cannot add the server IP as the DNS of the VPN connection because there is a external IP address mapped to it. Sounds strange to me. If the users would like to connect to the Exchange server using Outlook from home, he will not be able to connect because the server setting in the Outlook profile is using hostname, rather then IP address. Using host file is one option to solve the issue, but I don't think that is the correct way.

Can anyone help me with the above?

Thanks!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

Actions

This Discussion