Replies

MAC address of linksys router wrt54g

mahesh18
Level 6
Level 6

Hi all,

i have linksys router at home model is

WRT54G.It is 4 port Router.I have wi fi

connection with cable router and router connects to shaw cable modem.

MY PC Gateway IP is 192.168.1.1

and mac address of Gateway is 00:1D:7E:53:2B:09.my question is in Linksys router which NIC or port this MAC is assigned to??.I check the website

Search results for "00-1d-7e"

MAC Address

Prefix Vendor

001D7E Cisco-Linksys, LLC

Also when i log onto linksys router it has different Mac address there which is

00:1D:7E:53:2B:08

and IP is 96.51.153.154.

SO also i want to know this second MAC is assigned to which port in Linksys router?

Many thanks

mahesh

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Mahesh,

Yes,

Hope this helps...

Shaheen

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

ohassairi
Level 5
Level 5

00:1D:7E:53:2B:09 should be the address of the 4 ports internal switch..

the second one is for the external port connected to internet

Hi,

so 4 ports on the router have 4 different

mac addresses.

or

the all ports of router have 1 Mac address?

Let me get clear on this.

many thanks

mahesh

Hi Mahesh,

These routers do have 4 port switchable ports but each port does not have its own mac address. Each port registers the and then uses the mac address of client device.

You can go-to the configuration page using browser and go to status tab -->Local Network-->DHCP Client Table. this table will dispaly the mac add of each client connected to each port. once the client is removed, the mac is removed and switchport is no longer active.

as far the the 2 mac addresses you see on your status router page. 1 address is for the external link connecting to ISP and the second one is for the internal LAN side 192.168.1.1

you can identify these by using the command prompt on your PC connected to this router, by issuing arp -a command

the mac which is attached to 192.168.1.1 is your default gateway is internal LAN and the other will be external WAN.

Hope This Helps.....

Shaheen

Hi shahem

thanks for your reply

i got the answer.

So my understanding is that these Routers

have 2 NIc cards one for ISP side and one for Local Lan side.And these two NIC have there own MAC address.Is that right?

Hi Mahesh,

Yes,

Hope this helps...

Shaheen

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: