Views
Helpful
Replies

Active/Standby ASA question

jamesgonzo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 2 ASA 5520's that were setup for my a few months ago by an engineer who has moved on.

From what he told me the configs of both ASA's are kept in sync, if the active ASA has a config change made then the standby ASA gets this update.

I have updated the Active ASA's ASDM bin file, will the Standbt ASA also get this update?

I had to tell the Active ASA to point to the new ASDM file, so the Standby ASA will get this config change, and if the ASDM.bin is not in the flash of the Standby ASA then it won't work.

The only way I have worked out how to access the Standby ASA is my making it active, is this right?

3 Replies 3

husycisco
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

One of the musts for failover is having identical IOS versions. So If you upgrade one device's image, failover is broken. Thats why IOS update does not get replicated.

Regards

I understand this for the IOS, but what about different ASDM.bin versions? Surely the failover is ok if these are different?

As far as I remember, Offical documents do not include "identical ASDM images" in failover prerequisites. It should be OK.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card