Views
Helpful
Replies

Usernames not showing in Cisco Works

alejandro.cano
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have configure the acqusition settings to: enable user tracking for DHCP enviroment, Get user names from hosts in NT and NDS domains,Use DNS to resolve host names but username still dont show when I do a query. Any ideas?

Regards

13 Replies 13

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You need to be running the UTLite33.exe program on all of your Windows end hosts. This program will periodically send UDP packets to the Campus Manager server which contain the locally logged in username, as well as the end host's MAC and IP addresses.

More on setting up UTLite can be found by searching the Campus Manager online help for the string UTLite.

Sorry I forgot to mention that I am also running a script on all my computer so they run utlite every time they log in. I have running manualy on my computer just a as test and I still dont get any username.

What version of Campus Manager is this? Is UDP port 16236 open between the end hosts and the server?

5.03 is all intrnall, no ports are blocked.

Try restarting the UTLITE daemon on the server:

pdterm UTLITE

pdexec UTLITE

Then, go to one of the Windows end hosts that are already showing up in User Tracking, and logout, and log back in. Make sure UTLite33.exe was restarted. Then go to UT, and see if the username is showing up.

No luck. any other ideas?

Regards

You'll need to enable UTLITE tracing under Campus Manager > Administration > User Tracking > Debugging Options > Dynamic User Tracking. Enable TRACE for all UTLITE subsystems. Then, log out and log back into a workstation, and post the utlite.log.

Here it is.

Regards

According to this, you are not sending any UTLite packets from your clients to this server. Please post a sniffer trace showing a client sending a UTLite packet as well as a new utlite.log which covers the same time frame.

Should I be able to telnet to the Cisco Works server using port 16236?

alejandro.cano
Level 1
Level 1

Here is the capture, I ran the script while the capture was runnig

There are no udp/16236 packets here. The way UTLite works is that when the user logs in on the client, the domain controller copies down a UTLite33.exe file. As part of the user's login script, a UTLite.bat is run. This batch file starts the executable. This executable in turn sends udp/16236 packets to the Campus Manager server every 10 minutes.

If you have setup your login script to do the copy and spawning of UTLite, then the UDP packets are not making it from the client to the server. If you have any firewalls or access-lists, make sure they are permitting udp/16236 from every Windows client to the LMS server.

There is no firewalls in the middle or access list.I will leave the wireshark running for a good hour to see if I catch anything

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: