Views
Helpful
Replies

CiscoWorks - some devices display hostname and others don't

anasaizgarc
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I am trying to install and configure CiscoWorks on a ~100 devices environment. I have managed to discover all the devices with Campus Manager, but what I have seen is that some of them display their hostname, and some others don't.

For example, I have 2 devices in the same subnet and with exactly the same config, and one of them displays the hostname whereas the other one seems to have taken only the IP address.

I have been reading the documentation but I don't manage to figure out what can be happening.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

LMS uses DNS or the server's local hosts file to resolve IP addresses to hostnames. Make sure the management IP address of the device is properly resolvable in DNS. This may require you to add a local hosts file entry for the device.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

LMS uses DNS or the server's local hosts file to resolve IP addresses to hostnames. Make sure the management IP address of the device is properly resolvable in DNS. This may require you to add a local hosts file entry for the device.

I'll try it, thank you very much

I have checked with nslookup and it seems that some devices are not registered at DNS (I was almost sure the were...) I suppose that the names will be shown as soon as I manage the DNS administrator to register them.

Thanks for your help