cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS - CIFS - File opening is fast, file saving is slow...

dgoswick
Level 1
Level 1

We are in the middle of a demo on version 4.1.1b. Browsing and opening files is very fast, however when saving a file, especially in MS Word, it takes much longer than expected. It is taking 4 to 5 seconds to open the file (application and all), but about 20 seconds to close and save the file/app. Even small 50Kb files take this long, even if we don't change anything in the file.

We did notice one thing, these saves are going to a DFS share back at the main office. When we perform the same test on a non-DFS share, it only takes about 9 seconds. Could this be the reason? The same test locally on the LAN is sub second. Any ideas?

1 Reply 1

dgoswick
Level 1
Level 1

This was my second posting with no response, however I've been working on this issue and I did find something interesting that I am going to post here just in case someone else experiences this. My DFS share issue may have been a fluke, I couldn't recreate it.

Anyway, I turned off the 'Allow Background Saves' option in Word. This decreased the save time from 20 seconds to 8 seconds. Maybe this will help someone else in the future.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: