cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mesh Design Question -- Guest Access

swensonj
Level 1
Level 1

In reviewing all the documents concerning Mesh with the controllers and Guest access. I'm assuming the following, through a redirect on the WLAN controller we can have a guest client create an account and also have their credit card charged. We are getting ready to building an 80 radio 1522 mesh network using the 4400 WLC. Do we need the WCS program or is that over kill? And is my assumption on the guest portion correct?

Thanks

8 Replies 8

Peter Nugent
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you are using 80 mesh access point the investment in a WCS certainly isnt overkill.

However I believe that there is no functionality for billing and creating ones own account? you will need another appliance for this purpose

For your billing feature it may be worth checking out Cisco guest NAC appliance which will have billing functionality in the next release.

wg wireless
Level 1
Level 1

Although I have never tested this credit card stuff with the WLAN, however note that WCS is an optional software for extra managability (with some really good feauters). It is not required to run the WLAN setup.

A tip for ur design of 80 radio network: while using 1522 mesh APs, you dont need a controller with a capacity of 80 APs. Actually you need lesser capacity. In design phase, while calculating WLC capacity, count RAPs as 1 and MAPs as 1/2. for example if you have 10 out of 80 APs as RAPs in ur design and remaining 70 as MAPs you actually need a controller with a capacity of (10x1)+(70x1/2)=45. so 4402 with 50 AP capacity will do the job.

Please feel free to contact me if you wish any further discussion.

Waqas Akhtar

0092-333-4848579

Waqar is correct regarding the 1/2 licences for the MAP, however from my experience when you load more APs then the capacity of the controller you mayhave MESH stability issues, with RAP lossing connectivity

I had had a couple of these issues and have had to purchase an additional controller to overcome the issue

So in other words. Rule of thumb is to go with 1 MAP as a LWAP license. Am I correct?

Yes, this will also help you in the further when scaling the wlan and also in N+1 redunancy

Can I ship you a viso design for comments etc on the layout of this mile and a half coverage area.

you can do my email add is

krishan.mistry@convergis.co.uk

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: