cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4402 wlc upgrade from 4.1.171 to 4.2.130

james.randolph
Level 1
Level 1

This is my first wlc upgrade. I have 2 4402s with 12 AP1242s lwaps split between the two controllers. What's the best practice in upgrading the wireless lan controllers? Should I power one controller off while I upgrade the other or keep them both on during the upgrade process?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

I don't think it really matters if either 1 or both are on for the upgrade. Cisco do recommend that all radio's be disabled before the upgrade....so that is a scheduled wireless outage! I suggest you read the below guide for this:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00805f381f.shtml

HTH>

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

I don't think it really matters if either 1 or both are on for the upgrade. Cisco do recommend that all radio's be disabled before the upgrade....so that is a scheduled wireless outage! I suggest you read the below guide for this:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00805f381f.shtml

HTH>

zhenningx
Level 4
Level 4

I have four WLCs. When I upgraded them the first time, I had a problem that the some APs jumping between WLCs and downloading different codes during the upgrade. That was a little mess. Then I found it is better to modify your ACL to deny any AP joins before the upgrade and let them start to join after all the WLCs finished the upgrade.

Zhenning

That's good to know. I was a little concerned with the failover behavior of the APs when upgrading one WLC while both are "ON". So, I can keep them WLCs "ON" just modify the ACLs to deny any AP joins before the upgrade. Are there any other ways to make this upgrade as smooth as possible?

Also, the previous poster supplied a very helpful link.

Thanks again.

What I would do is set the primary wlc to one of the wlc's and then disable ap fallback. Upgrade the other wlc and when finished, change the primary to that wlc you upgraded. Only do around 6 ap's at a time and wait for them to upgrade the code, reboot and register to the upgraded wlc. Then when you have upgraded all the ap's, upgrade the second wlc that should have no ap's on it. Once that is upgraded and both wlcs have the same codw, thenn you can configure the correct primary and secondary wlc's. If you have WCS, then just make templates, so you can push that out.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I performed the WLC upgrade last night and all went well. I followed Cisco's recommeded sequence of steps: 1. backup the config 2. disable radios 3. upgrade 1 controller 4. upgrade the second controller5. renable radios

Thanks to all who replied.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card