Views
Helpful
Replies

AP 1200 keep rebooting after conversion LWAPP

jasonkwang
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have just converted my unit of AP1200 to LWAPP by only copy c1200-rcvk9w8-mx into the AP and set AP to boot from this image. After which, I try have the AP associate the WLC. But it fails and keep reooting. Is there anyway to stop the AP from keep re-booting. I need to revert back to autonomous mode. Anyone can help me ?

5 Replies 5

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

Normally, you don't upgrade to LWAPP by replacing the image and rebooting. You should use Cisco's upgrade tool to do this conversion, which can be downloaded from the wireless downloads site.

As for reverting, you can perform the following:

1. Pull the AP down and connect your laptop directly to its ethernet port (using a crossover if needed). Your laptop needs a TFTP server installed.

2. Assign your laptop an address in the range of 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.30

3. Open your TFTP server and place an autonomous image in the root directory. Rename it "cXXXX-k9w7.tar.default", where XXXX = the AP model number (1100, 1130, 1200, 1230, 1240).

4. Hold the MODE button down and power up the AP. Hold it for 30 seconds or so until the light turns red. Let it go and it will download the code.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/4.2/configuration/guide/c42lwap.html#wp1105215

The first time I tried to recover an AP it didn't work because I had the name format incorrect.

The correct format is "cXXXX-k9w7-tar.default". A dash instead of dot before tar. The format is correct on the guide though.

kevinloske
Level 1
Level 1

Do you need to get it to connect to a controller or downgrade back to autonomous? I'm not sure which way you ultimately want to go.

You may also want to check the controller - unless you pushed the upgrade cert to controller you will be seeing a bunch of errors.

Take a look here -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_tech_note09186a008072d9a1.shtml

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I agree with Jeff. In regards to 1200 and 1230 AP, I have experienced that using the Conversion Tool the ONLY way to convert from Autonomous to LWAP.

Make sure that the WLC intended for the AP to join is also reachable.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card