Views
Helpful
Replies

which way is out and in when looking at an access-list

dan_track
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Just wonderinf if you can calrify something for me as I'm getting confused.

I have two access lists configured on a vlan like so:

vlan 20

ip access-group 140 in

ip access-group 139 out

If I have client "A" in vlan 20 and it wants to communicate with a server "B" in a remote location how do I write the access list to allow "A" to connect to port 3124 on "B" but allow any connections from "B" to "A".

Thanks

Dan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Dan

An access-list applied inbound on a vlan interface controls traffic coming FROM devices on that vlan.

An access-list applied outbound on a vlan interface controls traffic going TO devices on that vlan.

So

access-list 101 permit tcp host host eq 3124 (note i've assumed port 3124 is TCP)

int vlan 20

ip access-group 101 in

If you want to allow any connections from B to A you could just not bother with an acl but assuming you need to filter other traffic

access-list 102 permit ip host host

int vlan 20

ip access-group 102 out

Edit - forgot to mention always remember there is an implicit "deny ip any any" at the end of any access-list so you may need to add other things to the acl examples given above.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Dan

An access-list applied inbound on a vlan interface controls traffic coming FROM devices on that vlan.

An access-list applied outbound on a vlan interface controls traffic going TO devices on that vlan.

So

access-list 101 permit tcp host host eq 3124 (note i've assumed port 3124 is TCP)

int vlan 20

ip access-group 101 in

If you want to allow any connections from B to A you could just not bother with an acl but assuming you need to filter other traffic

access-list 102 permit ip host host

int vlan 20

ip access-group 102 out

Edit - forgot to mention always remember there is an implicit "deny ip any any" at the end of any access-list so you may need to add other things to the acl examples given above.

Jon

Brilliant Jon,

Thanks for your help, cleared up a real problem. Don't know what I'd do without you!! :)

Thanks

Dan

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card