cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Client associated to 2 APs

cjoseph23
Level 1
Level 1

I searched for my mac address in WCS and I recieved three results. See the attached screenshot. I am just curious why the second entry show I am associated to AP 00:00:00:00:00:00?

I do not have an AP named that.

Running 4.2.130 on all my WLC. Have a mis of WiSM and 4400 Controllers totaling about 10 WLCs.

4 Replies 4

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

Well, the last listing is just an AP that your client was once associated to, but has since left to join the new one. I can't explain the all-zeros MAC address, so maybe someone else can chime in there. It's clearly not an accurate piece of info, and it's likely some bit of data that resulted out of your last roam.

As Jeff mentioned, this is due to your client roaming and most likely due to wlc roaming. The information you see is not real time accurate, especially the wlc information of clients. You can see that 10.92.0.111 shows the client as still being authenticated which is not the case. So most likely what happens is the wlc is cached until flushed or cleared, but ap's keep the real time information, so the all zero's just mean that the wlc knows of the client but not yet flushed the old info and when it tries to detect which ap that user is on, there isn't one.... so it produces the all zero's.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks for the Replies. I figured this was some erroneous info on the part of WCS. When i look in the Controller GUI or CLI I do not see this behavior.

It may be related to the fact that we are running WCS version 5.1.64 and the controller software is 4.2.130.

I will look into downgrading our WCS version to 4.2.110

Downgrading might not help, since the WCS does not update real time. Youwill only see this if you catch a roam before the wlc and wcs flushes out the old information.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: